Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Food for thought or thought for food?

If we accept Maslow's hierarchy of needs, then our physiological needs will always stand first, disabling our attempts to put mind over matter. You can't eat poetry, for example. And if our behavior is indeed biologically programmed - a result of years of evolution - then how do we break out of that pattern?

Often times people get so wrapped up in their daily tasks that they simply forget about the thousand other things that life has to offer them. They operate on autopilot for years: doing things just because everyone else is doing them. They move along a mapped path, as it is much easier to swim with the tide, than go against it.

I've never been much of a spiritual person. I've always prided myself on having my feet firmly on the ground. That has often resulted in me questioning everything before I decide to experience it. Some would call it a realistic approach to life, others might call it skeptical. Still, I believe that the mind is a powerful tool, as long as you know how to tune it. There is a bit of a chance to your life but it's mostly a sequence of events that result from the decisions you make. So, if you decide to drive in a completely different direction, chances are - you'll break the pattern.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics